16 Items In Your Home That You May Not Have Known Were Unsafe for Dogs

by | | 0 comment(s)

When you think about hazardous household items for dogs, things like chocolate and cleaning products probably come to mind right away. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other common items that can be a hazard to your pooch. Dog proofing your home begins with knowing what’s dangerous in the first place, so let’s dive into the most common household items that you may not have known were unsafe for your dog.

  1. Toothpaste

The Bond Vet veterinary dentist team tells us that human toothpaste often contains artificial sweeteners that can be toxic to pets. If you’re going to brush your dog’s teeth at home, be sure to choose a toothpaste that is specifically formulated for dogs.

  1. Coffee

Coffee contains caffeine, which can cause seizures or even death in dogs. It’s just as unsafe as chocolate.

  1. Grapes

Sadly, many people have offered grapes to their dog as a snack, only to find out that can cause acute renal failure in dogs. Always keep grapes, raisins, and grape stems out of reach of your pup.

  1. Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts are extremely poisonous for dogs. Be sure to check ingredients before you share a cookie or snack with your pooch.

  1. Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic (including the powders in your spice cabinet) can kill your dog’s red blood cells, potentially leading to Heinz Body Anemia, which can be fatal. The larger the quantity your dog consumes, the more damaging it will be to his system.

  1. Bones

Bones of any kind can become a choking hazard for your dog. However, cooked bones are extremely dangerous because they can splinter and perforate the digestive tract when your dog swallows them.

  1. Alcohol

Alcohol can lead to the same liver and kidney damage in dogs that it does in humans. It can also cause acidosis, which leads to cardiac arrest.

  1. Human or pet medications

Human medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen can interfere with your dog’s oxygen flow and cause serious harm to his liver. Never give human medications of any kind to your dog without consulting with a vet.

And, keep in mind that even if your dog has been prescribed a certain medication, he can still overdose on it and become very ill or even die. Oral medications for dogs are often flavored, which will entice them into gobbling the medication down if they gain access to it.

  1. Insecticides, rodenticides, and fertilizers

Insecticides, rodenticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals that are commonly used around homes and lawns often contain toxic ingredients that are extremely dangerous for dogs. Things like ant, roach, and fly traps present a choking hazard, even if the label says they’re safe around pets.

  1. Antifreeze

Drinking even a small amount of antifreeze could kill your dog. Even worse, it has a sweet smell that’s very enticing to pets.

  1. Sidewalk de-icers

If you use a de-icing product on your sidewalk or driveway, be sure to clean your dog’s paws thoroughly if he walks in it. If he licks the product off his paws, it could cause lead poisoning.

  1. Batteries and small electronic devices

Batteries and small electronic devices like remote controls (which also contain a battery) contain a dangerous acid that could severely burn your dog’s mouth, throat, and stomach if chewed or ingested.

  1. Toys

Whether the toys in your home are meant for pets or children, if there are small parts, they can become a choking hazard for your dog. And, if they chew off a piece of the toy and swallow it, it can become lodged in the throat or digestive tract and cause a life-threatening blockage. It’s best to supervise your dog with any toy, even if it’s made for dogs.

  1. Rawhide dog chews

Rawhide dog chews are a common find in the pet food aisle, but they pose the same threat as toys. If your dog chews off a large chunk and swallows it, he could end up at the vet’s for emergency surgery to remove the blockage.

Not only that, but rawhides can also contain bacteria like salmonella, which is just as dangerous to your dog as it is to you.

  1. House plants

Dogs are curious by nature and they may be tempted to lick or chew on plants and fallen leaves if they’re within reach. Unfortunately, many houseplants are toxic to dogs and could even cause a life-threatening reaction. Be sure to check a reliable source to ensure any plants in your home are safe for your pets.

  1. Fabric softener sheets and laundry detergent

These seemingly harmless products are actually full of chemicals that can be dangerous for your dog. And, your dog may like the way they smell and be tempted to lick the detergent bottle or play with dryer sheets like toys.

Final Tips

Do you store items that are hazardous to your dog in places that are low, exposed, or easily accessible? If so, it’s time to move them out of reach or ensure that they’re in dog-proof containers.

The holidays are a particularly dangerous time for dogs because food is often let out for human consumption. Make a plan to keep it out of your dog’s reach and make sure guests know to keep hazardous items out of reach, too.

If you used to shrug it off when you accidentally dropped a single pill on the floor and it tumbled out of sight, you know better now. All medications should be kept far out of your dog’s reach.

And, finally, remember that it’s quite common for dogs to drink out of puddles or lick their feet when they come in from outside. Always be conscientious of any chemicals they could become exposed to and ensure that they don’t have an opportunity to ingest them.

This entry was posted in no categories.

You must be logged in to post comments.